The Voice of Social Justice Huron
- Promotes awareness about injustices and human needs in our local, national and global communities.
- Builds capacity for advocacy and action at diocesan, deanery and parish levels through education.
- Builds a network of people of the Diocese engaged in social justice work to collaborate for advocacy and action.
- Encourages and supports new social justice ministries at diocesan, deanery and parish levels.
- Builds partnerships locally and nationally within the Anglican Church and with other churches, faith groups and organizations working for social justice, peace, and human rights.
- Gathers, shares and celebrates information, stories and experiences of social justice ministry being done by deaneries and parishes.
- Links with other committees of the Diocese whose work is related to social justice and outreach,
- Provides information and recommendations to the Bishops, Council and Synod about social justice issues for Diocesan policy-making and advocacy.
Social Justice Huron is a voice speaking with others, to educate, empower and bring about change in ourselves, our church, our society and our world.
Four Voices of Social Justice Huron: Goals for 2010-20
Praying Voices – to develop an
authentic spirituality for social justice
Striving to authentically live what we teach by connecting in new ways to God’s call to love our neighbours. We gather and share people’s stories encouraging greater understanding and empathy, Bible studies focus on social justice messages and liturgical resources that celebrate and inspire.
Singing Voices – to communicate successful social justice ministry within our diocese
Social justice ministries currently are being done throughout Huron Diocese. We lift up these ministries, gathering and disseminating stories and statistics about them to inform, challenge and inspire each other.
Partnered Voices – to build partnerships
for effective social justice work
We are not alone. God has given us the gift of each other. Collaboration gives strength and increases the impact of our work. We identify and connect with potential partners and provide information about partners and tools for developing partnerships.
Empowering Voices – to provide tools to promote awareness of social justice ministry
Our vision deliberately includes engaging our society and our world. We communicate who we are and why we are doing what we choose to do. We provide resources that include ways to communicate our actions and purposes to the wider community.
Social Justice Links
- Interfaith Social Assistance Reform Coalition www.isarc.ca
- KAIROS: Canadian Social Justice Initiatives www.kairoscanada.org
- EcoJustice Committee of the Anglican Church of Canada www.anglican.ca/about/committees/pmej.htm
- Social Justice and Advocacy, Diocese of Toronto www.toronto.anglican.ca/index.asp?navid=105
- Dignity for All www.dignityforall.ca
- Make Poverty History www.makepovertyhistory.ca
- Tamarack: An Institute for Community Engagement http://tamarackcommunity.ca
- Centre for Social Justice www.socialjustice.org/
- 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction http://25in5.ca
- Transfair Canada (Fair Trade) www.transfair.ca
For more information, please contact:
The Rev'd Chris Brouillard-Coyle - Co-Coordinator, Social Justice Huron
The Rev'd Margaret Walker - Co-Coordinator, Social Justice Huron
The Rev’d Tom Patterson - Co-Coordinator, Social Justice Huron